Potty training may take months. Accidents will happen. Doctors say that most children can’t stay dry until age 2 1/2 or 3.
Don’t punish children for potty accidents. Instead, praise them for trying their best.
Here are some potty training tips:
- Don’t force the child to use the toilet. Wait until the toddler is ready.
- Talk to the child about using the bathroom and show him how the toilet works.
- Occasionally ask the child, “Do you have to go potty?”
- Teach the child how to pull their pants up and down.
- Purchase a child’s size toilet, to make the child feel more comfortable. Maybe let the child decorate the toilet with stickers.
- Cold turkey! This can be messy. Explain to the child no more diapers and put them in underwear.
- Reward the toddler! When the child does go in the toilet give them an award such as a star on a sticker sheet.