WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A PARENT
- Read to your children.
- Keep your promises.
- Go for walks together.
- Let your children help with household projects.
- Spend time one-on-one with each child.
- Tell your children about your own childhood.
- Go to the zoo, museums, and ball games as a family.
- Set a good example.
- Use good manners.
- Help your children with their homework.
- Show your children lots of warmth and affection.
- Set clear, consistent limits.
- Consider how your decisions will affect your children.
- Listen to your children.
- Know your children's friends.
- Take your children to work.
- Open a savings account for college education.
- Resolve conflicts quickly.
- Take your children to your place of worship.
- Make a kite together.
- Fly a kite together.
- You get the idea.
Adapted from What it Takes to be a Dad, with permission:
National Fatherhood Initiative
101 Lake Forest Boulevard, Suite 360; Gaithersburg, MD 20877